• Greetings. Welcome to the RVPics forums. If this is your first visit, please register to allow posting and replying. If you are already a member, please sign in.

Mod Inverter Installation in Cardinal Fifth Wheel

My Website
rvpics.com
RV
2015 Cardinal 3550RL Fifth Wheel
Amateur Radio Callsign
W6DEJ
To tell the truth, the main reason I installed an inverter in the fifth wheel was because I had an extra one laying around. :giggle: When we stopped at a Camping world store a few years ago, they had some on a closeout table priced very reasonably. I bought one and stuck it on a shelf in the garage. The inverter is not anything fancy. It's only 1200 watts, but that's plenty for smaller needs when we're in the boonies with no shore power. I added another house battery as the trailer only came with one. This doubles the amp hours of available power. The inverter is mounted to the firewall inside the front storage area. Between the batteries and the inverter I mounted a large fuse as a safety measure with such high amperage. Then I ran a 110v cable to the interior of the RV, terminated it on a standard outlet and also installed a remote on/off switch to control the inverter. There are two grounded outlets on the top of the unit. One is permanently connected to the wall outlet inside. The other can be used for an outdoor extension cord to connect power tools, a TV set or radio when commercial power is unavailable. It can also be used for charging phones and computers in an emergency.

inverter-1.jpg
inverter-2.jpg
inverter-3.jpg
inverter-4.jpg
inverter-5.jpg
inverter-6.jpg

RV
Forest River Wildcat 29RKS something or another
Amateur Radio Callsign
KF5INW
Hmmm, interesting. I have the one from Dad's camper. I don't know that we would ever use it, but it would be an interesting install. You know, just because.

Nice setup. Mine has 2 100 watt solar panels on the roof and 4 batteries in the front compartment, and a Samlex Inverter in the storage compartment. It Has a remote switch for the inverter which is located on the entertainment console below the Radio CD Player. The inverter is below the entertainment console and is in the storage compartment. The 110V duplex outlet is behind the TV.
DSCF0003.JPG

My front Battery Compartment with 4 Trojan Deep Cycle Batteries. Hooked to Solar Panels on Roof with the Solar Controller in the refrigerator Compartment. It works with the Converter as well as the solar controller. Both can be on at the same time.
DSCF0004.JPG

Inverter Remote switch mounted on TV cabinet Below TV and Radio/CD player. The Inverter is behind the Entertainment Console in the storage compartment below. The Duplex outlet is above and behind the TV.